Sunday, July 31, 2011

Necrotic Ooze

Lurking in the shadows before its imminent rise to power? 

I lost a Standard game online to a Necrotic Ooze and it got me thinking. In this particular case, the game-breaking combo was with a Spikeshot Elder, but I think this card's true power hasn't even been seen yet.

The rumor is, Innistrad is going to be have a graveyard theme.This does seem likely because you can see a little graveyard theme running through M12 as well. To name a few, the new Jace, Jace's Archivist, and Zombie Infestation make it much easier to get cards into your graveyard. From there Necrotic Ooze's power potentially skyrockets.

Remember Knight of the Reliquary? This Alara block card was unremarkable until Zendikar's land theme turned this guy (gal?) into a major player.Could Necrotic Ooze be the next Knight of the Reliquary? I believe there is a strong possibility for this, but to be fair, it could turn out more like the Lodestone Golem whose value increase after Scars of Mirrodin was much less pronounced.

Let's take a look at some creatures with abilities our death ooze would love to absorb:
I especially like the souleaters teaming up. Pay some life to give your 4/3 unblockable, infect, and firebreathing? Yes please.


With the new cards in M12 and Innistrad (presumably) to get creatures into graveyards, I think this guy is going to get serious. The potential to absorb any and all activated creature abilities on top of an efficient body may prove very competitive in the new format.

One more thing. If we build a deck around one creature how do we ensure we get it into play regularly? Birthing Pod will do the trick! I think that'll work nicely - tossing souleaters into the graveyard along the way.

I'm willing to bet Necrotic Ooze's value is going to increase over the next year. In fact, I did. I've always thought about buying up cards I think are going to increase in value but with this guy I finally did. With digital copies available for eight cents I figure even if I'm wrong a few extra playsets won't break the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment