Sunday, October 23, 2011

Aesthetics Matter


A Magic card can viewed as having two parts: functional and non-functional. The functional part of a card is what affects the gameplay: mana cost, card type, and rules text. The non-functional part is everything else: artwork, flavor text, name, or the aesthetics.

Players often evaluate cards based on functional properties only. A "good" card is a powerful card. This makes sense because most players play the game to win (myself included). However, sometimes I think it's interesting to evaluate cards from a game design perspective. From this viewpoint a "good" card generally means a "fun" card, since a game's purpose is to be fun. The functional properties of a card are extremely important for determining if a card is fun. It's not the artwork that makes people hate Stasis. However, I think aesthetics play an important, though more subtle, role in what makes a card "good" from a design perspective.

Compare Doom Blade to Go for the Throat. Functionally they are very similar. Aesthetically, at least as far as I'm concerned, they aren't even close. The artwork and flavor text on the two are somewhat comparable. The latest version of Doom Blade doesn't even have flavor text (doesn't need it), but what makes "Go for the Throat" fail is the name. You can imagine a Black Mage casting a "Doom Blade" to obliterate a Serra Angel. It's pure death in huge, magical blade form. Now I'm going to cast "Go for the Throat"? Or maybe I'm just going to "Go for the Throat"? Or maybe I'm going to send that evil looking elf lady to do it for me? Imaginary wizard dueling aside, players still have to talk about the cards. "I doom bladed the angel". "I was saving my doom blade". You know how players refer to Go for the Throat? GFTT.

Another black removal comparison: Grasp of Darkness vs Victim of Night. Can you guess which one I like more? For this comparison I think the artwork is hands down in favor of Grasp. Looking at Victim... What, did he get mugged in a back alley? Or is he kneeling on a red mat? While "Victim of Night" isn't as bad a name as "Go for the Throat", I'd much prefer casting Grasp of Darkness. What's most interesting about this comparison, however, is the aesthetics of the rules text. This matters too. "Target creature gets -4/-4 until end of turn." Bam. Done. Elegant. Compare to (hold on let me look it up) "Destroy target non-Vampire, non-Werewolf, non-Zombie creature." Grasp of Darkness "consumes" four points of life from a creature. Victim of Night reads like an if-else block in a computer program. Calculating if I can make you a Victim of Night... are you a non-Vampire creature? Yes. Are you a non-Werewolf creature? Yes. Are you a non-Zombie creature? Yes. OK, then you're going to bleed on the wall.

Aesthetics matter, and it's good to talk about something that normally doesn't get a lot of attention. I act like I mathematically evaluate every card based on the functional properties, but you know what? I don't own any Go for the Throats and I never really thought about the ratio of artifact vs non-artifact creatures.

1 comment:

  1. My name is Karina, I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through all my life a weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how i could be transformed into a powerful when i came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete