Friday, November 11, 2011

Dead Goblins

Until last year I didn't play Standard because I thought it was too expensive. Then I tried an experiment. I wanted to see if I could win in the casual room with a ten dollar deck. Come to find out I could. I built Goblins and ended up 27-9.

Looking to repeat the magic, I built another Goblin deck for a friend as an introduction to Standard.


4 Goblin Grenade
2 Arc Trail
4 Incinerate
4 Brimstone Volley
2 Darksteel Axe
2 Shrine of Burning Rage
4 Spikeshot Elder
4 Goblin Arsonist
4 Goblin Gaveleer
4 Goblin Wardriver
4 Goblin Chieftain
2 Blisterstick Shaman
20 Mountain

I had the same goal this time around: maximize power and minimize cost. I guess Goblins are good at that. This deck cost eight tickets and started off 8-2.

Most Goblin decks are very aggressive and this is no exception. With 18 one drops and 12 two drops you can count on using every ounce of available mana starting on turn one. The plan is to overwhelm the opponent early and finish with a barrage of direct damage. I call it Dead Goblins, because let's face it, about the best thing a Goblin can aspire to is being hurled at an opponent as a Grenade and triggering a Morbid Brimstone Volley. Shrine, Grenade, and Volley give this aggro deck amazing reach to finish games in true Red Mage fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment